When your four-legged friend doesn't make it outside in time, misses the piddle-pad or the litter box, it’s no fun for anyone. No worries! This simple DIY pet stain remover will have you and furry pals cuddling odor-free in no time!
Pet Stain and Odor Remover Recipe
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 15 drops Lemon essential oil
- 5 drops Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil
- 5 drops Purification essential oil blend
- 2 cups baking soda (optional, for tough or already-dried stains)
If your furry buddy very recently left a puddle on the living room carpet, use these instructions for removing fresh stains:
- Add the essential oils to the salt and mix well.
- In a spray bottle, combine the salt mixture, apple cider vinegar, and water. Mix thoroughly until salt has dissolved.
- Blot the “accident” to remove excess moisture.
- Shake the bottle, then spray the stained area generously until wet.
- Let sit for 10–15 minutes.
- Using an old towel or rag, soak up the mixture by blotting until moisture is removed. Do not apply heat to aid in the drying process, as it can cause unwanted odors and stains to set permanently.
When you find an older, smellier, set-in stain, use the instructions above to make the DIY pet odor eliminator and then:
- Spray the area generously until wet.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the stain and leave for 24 hours or until dry. The baking soda will absorb the stain during this time.
- Once dry, scoop up as much baking soda as possible and discard, then vacuum thoroughly to remove any remaining powder.
Having a pet in the family means unconditional love, which—of course—means occasionally taking the messy with everything good. For more tips on caring for your fluffiest family members, check out our posts on DIY paw balm and our quick how-to for essential oils and pets!
You’re passionate about your pets, so all-natural, non-toxic products are the only option. Give your four-legged friends shampoo, essential oils, and other products designed especially for them. Shop for all-natural, toxin free pet products.
Enjoy your oily day!
Lisa and Rich Jelinek, Young Living ID 1795137